Primary Duties include but are not limited to:
The Preconstruction Manager shall report to the Director of Preconstruction and shall be responsible for the daily management, supervision, coordination, and successful completion of the project preconstruction phase to achieve the cost objectives with respect to contracting, scheduling, estimating, and bidding. They shall coordinate with the Project Executive and Project Manager for each respective project.
Specific duties shall include:
- Prepare detailed estimates (conceptual, schematic, design development, construction).
- Assemble the estimate including general conditions, special conditions, insurance, and bonds.
- Prepare and analyze cost models during the Design Development and/or bidding period.
- Assure that the estimates, including general conditions, are accurate, complete, and reflect the actual requirements of the project. This includes assuring that there is an adequate number of qualified and financially sound subcontractor proposals received and evaluated.
- Plan and lead the preconstruction strategy meeting on the approach to the project or estimate.
- Assure that potential risk factors have been evaluated and reviewed with senior management (i.e. Peer Review, if required, contract bond authorization, contract review, insurance review, etc.).
- Prepare bid packages, obtain bids from subcontractors and material vendors, and analyze bids from subcontractors and material vendors.
- Assure that an adequate and proper number of documents are available for estimating the project.
- Maintain subcontractor evaluations utilizing the Subcontractor Pre-Qualification Form.
- Coordinate the assembly of the preconstruction material for presentation purposes to the Owner (i.e. Design Development estimates or Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) booklets, etc.).
- Review subcontracts and major purchase orders, prior to issuance to the subcontractor, for compliance with the documents and the estimate.
- Coordinate, manage and supervise the work of subordinate preconstruction members and support staff.
- Coordinate and assure that a preliminary construction schedule has been developed for each estimate.
- Provide monthly cost analysis for all active preconstruction assignments and manage the preconstruction department budgets.
- Organize and lead the transition meeting between the project operations team and the preconstruction team and coordinate the follow-up meetings.
- Visit ongoing projects to verify the status of estimate vs. project status, meet with the project operations team, view work in place for experience and comparison to the estimate. Proactively identify and solve problems to minimize risk.
- Keep current on changes and trends in methods of construction and materials, construction costs, wage rates, fringes, and working rules.
- Identify and qualify new material suppliers and subcontractors and place them into the subcontractor database.
- Actively seek and share knowledge and lessons learned from project team experience.
- Initiate and maintain liaison with client and A/E contacts to facilitate a successful preconstruction process. This includes attending client-initiated meetings and ceremonial events.
- Identify new work opportunities and inform senior management of potential projects with current clients. Familiar with all Policies and Processes as it relates to this position.
- Actively participate on internal team(s) that focus on continuous improvement of the business.
- Employee will be responsible for directing and managing the preconstruction teams for multiple projects simultaneously. Employee shall possess the ability to mentor and coach project team members as appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or equal experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years in commercial or multifamily residential construction cost estimating. Project management experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of budgeting and reporting processes.
- Exceptional computer skills in Excel and Microsoft Project, good working knowledge of Word, Outlook, and other industry-related project management and scheduling software.
- Detail and deadline-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Advanced problem-solving skills, business skills, organizations skills, solid verbal & written communication skills, excellent relationship-building skills, as well as strong leadership and team management skills.
- Solid understanding of estimating tools & approaches to managing complex, multi-disciplinary projects and the flexibility to lead diverse and dynamic teams to successfully deliver projects.
- Knowledge of PlanSwift or other construction takeoff software.
- Knowledge of SmartBid or similar bid management systems.
Breeden Construction and The Breeden Company are Equal Opportunity Employers. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.